Friday, September 21, 2007

Thoughts


So this week seems to have flown by!! It is true, the busier you are the quicker time passes. Today (Friday) I had only one class at 7:50am and was finished by 9:30. Afterwards I spoke with our Waiban, Robert, about our upcoming trip to Beijing in a week for October Holiday. Our Assistant Dean, May also came to visit me as well. With the rest of my day to myself I decided to walk to town and take time for myself. It was incredible!! Robert was leaving at the same time I was and opted to walk with me instead of catching the bus. The walk to town is a 7 minnute bus ride or a 30 min walk (pending slower speed, probably more). We chatted along the way.

After we parted our ways I was determined to walk to the bridge (the only road that leads into/out of our town) to take pictures of the dam. It was very relaxing to be "away from it all" in a sense. On my way back into the city and walking around town I noticed the numerous amount of people playing cards and mah jong, basically just enjoying life. I must admit to be an old person here, I think, would be very relaxing (and cheap to live). First, they live with their children who take care of them. From about 10:30 or so until 7pm when the sun goes down, everywhere you turn you find them sitting at tables playing cards and games or sitting and talking.

As I walked through the town square and one of the elderly gentlemen looked at me and smiled, it made me think, "wow, what an incredible feeling to sit and feel at ease about life." They were not stressing out over their children, dinner, money, or work. I think I quite enjoy the relaxing aspect of the chinese way of life. I am learning it is a very calm one!!

No comments: