Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wudang Mountain

6 friends of ours came to visit us and go to Wudang Mountain, the birthplace of Martial Arts and Tai Chi, which happens to be only about 1.5 hours away. A group of 7 of us went to climb Wudang Mountain. The weather was not particularly what one would desire for this venture. Wudang Mountain are very large mountains and when standing on them you can see a great distance. When we left it was very cloudy (not pollution, but cloudy - sorry, needed to clarify!) After using another assortment of public restrooms and buying tickets we took the bus up some of the mountain to the beginning of the hike.
The beginning of the hike was cold and misty. We could not see very far in front of us. We climbed down many steep, slippery steps and up the same as well. The hike took a very long time. Even when you are in good shape (or think you are) it is tough.
During the hike we met some students from Virginia's school in Wuhan that had come to hike as well. We stopped and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and oranges. At this point it was still misting. Once we began walking again the weather changed. It began to sleet for a little while! We continued to pass the students when they stopped to eat and rest and they passed us when we stopped. It was good to see that we, Americans, were not the only ones having difficulty.
After taking some pictures with them it began to snow. It snowed the rest of our time hiking the mountain. It was quite an adventure. I do wish we could have seen further into the distance. But I have to say that the snow made it an incredible experience. Not many people would go hiking like that in the snow!! I was blessed more than I could have imagined!!
Of course since it was the birthplace of Martial Arts we had to take some pictures!! After pictures we took the sky lift straight down the mountain. I mean straight down the mountain. I thought we were going to drop. Of course in the sky lift with the clouds, we could not see a thing! It was a bit frightening but we made it through. Once we were safely back down the mountain we had a little time to buy some souvenirs before meeting our taxi.
It was an unforgettable experience!! I hope to return in the springtime, maybe with my sisters, Beth and Debbie!

1 comment:

Chucky-D said...

Great to see you getting out in the good ole mountain air! Haven't hiked in the snow before? Once when I was on my solo retreat up on Mt Rainier in Washington State in September, I mistook the weather. I would backpack for a week to get away, and I awoke 2 days hike out from cive to frozen water bottles, 6 inches of snow, and no trail to be seen. Time for map and compass.

I know you must be having a great time, Sarah, and I hope you are accomplishing your goals. Keep in blog!