Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cambodia!

So my journey began last Sunday morning the 20th of January. I left freezing, snowy, icy weather in China and hopped on three planes to my destination of Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The flights were interesting but did speed up the travel time! I was blessed to have made each flight and my checked bag made it through each time as well!
After arriving at the airport, I grabbed my bag, changed into a t-shirt, went through cutsoms, and hopped on a motodup (motorcycle) tot he bus station. I got a ticket to Sihanoukville, a very nice beach area. I arrived at about 3pm and found a hotel for 6$ a night with a private bathroom! After dropping my bags I grabbed my camera and headed to the beach for the sunset. I am a sucker for sunrises and sunsets at the beach, as many of you know! My first full day I spent on the beach. I fried my left side! You really do have to put A LOT of sunscreen on being so close to the equator! It hurt a little but it was fine by the time J-Bo (Jessica B) and Jess (Jessica M) met me on Thursday. It has been a nice relaxing time.
Ater they arrived on Thursday we found a place for the 3 of us and I led the way to the beach of course. We found another teacer from J-Bo's city in China. We all went out that night for dinner and saw the beach life at night!
Today (Saturday) we went snorkeling. It was 15$ for 2-50 minute sessions as well as the boat, breakfast, lunch, water, and fresh fruit! It was a lot of fun and we even got to see a small fishing village on an island. We applied sunscreen twice, at the beginning of the trip and after lunch. Yet, somehow, we are all still fried!! Especially on our backs!! We are constantly applying sunscreen! This burn will make it more challenging when we leave in a day or two to travel other parts of Cambodia because of our huge backpacks! I guess it is the price you pay.
Tonight we are each going to take time to stand under the cold shower. There is also a bonfire tonight at 11pm on the beach. This group of guys drove 2 little cars from Germany to the beach here to help raise money for the street children here. We are going to head down there to show some support! It will be fun though I doubt we will stay long seeing how exhausted we are!
That's all for now! Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you have a great tan, now, Sarah!

Charles