Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January 2008 Thus Far!

New Years was an adventure even here! We had a celebration with some students. They had curfew but instead stayed in Jessi's apartment to ring in the New Year. We watched American movies and had an assortment of chinese snacks. They were amazed to see how we celebrated the holiday staying up and watching the countdown on television. Of course our countdown switched between Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai. They also showed Vietnam and Thailand on tv as well. It was pretty exciting!
My New Years Kiss!!!
It has gotten extremely cold here. It changes much like NC weather. Last Monday and tuesday (7th + 8th) it was very nice outside in the upper 60's F. Well Saturday it snowed. It is supposed to snow again tomorrow or Tuesday! We went outside and played for a little while until our toes and fingers were numb. To go outside for only a half hour, I wore: long johns (top and bottom), longsleeve tshirt, a fleece, a sweatshirt, my coat, wind pants, socks, tennis shoes, 2 pairs of gloves, scarf, and an ear-warmer band. The middle of me was pretty warm! Snowmen and snowball fights are interesting in China. Snowmen or should I say snowwoman are very interesting. They are very detailed, with pictures to prove it. These were pictures taken of a snowwoman outside the Junior boys dormitory across from our apartments! It was not like having a snowball fight in America. The girls were very scared of snow and ran screaming and the boys didn't want to hit their teachers though we threw snowballs at them. Ah well! You live you learn Dorothy was right, "there's no place like home!"

Other than that we have been busy preparing for the end of our first term here in China. Our grades are due before we leave for our month-long holiday. It is now almost Chinese New Year!! I have to say travelling around China at this time is worse than the day after Thanksgiving sales in America with the amounts or should I say MOBS of people. There are so many people travelling and all they do is mob ticket counters. My plan was to get a train ticket to meet friends in Vietnam, however that is not the way it is working out. All the trains are sold out 9 days in advance! So my plans have changed. I am still planning to leave next weekend (the 18th) and head for Thailand where I willtravel to Cambodia to meet them instead. I will fly since this is the only mode of transportation available at this time. To fly from China to Bangkok it costs less than $200. Flights are actually rather inexpensive and of course the travel time is much shorter!I will be ok to get away from the cold and snow and lay on a beach with a good book in hand, while getting a tan!!
Anyway, enough rambling! I am sure I will have a wonderful time where ever I end up. I will have many stories to share and pictures of course. While I travel I will try to keep this updated as I will have some time to get online! So keep checking back for updates. I also had a wonderul phone call this afternoon from one Janet and Adrian Neely. As most of you know they are here for Adrian's business. I answered the phone and when I heard her I thought, 'who is this person speaking English so well??' I am hoping out paths will cross when I return from my holiday!

Hope y'all are having a blessed winter!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I did not know you had snow where you are in China. I prayed for to have a blessed New Year, and it looks like you did. I miss you.

Charles