Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bangkok to China

Wednesday (Feb 13) I walked to The Grand Palace which also includes the Temple of the emerald buddha a very famous sight in Bangkok. It is actually funny because it is only about one foot tall. I then walked to Wat Po to see the large reclining buddha and took a ferry across the river to Wat Arun. After visiting so many temples in such a short time over holiday I was tired of looking at them. At Wat Po I had the lucky of running into John and Cheryl, the couple from new Jersey I met and ate with in Laos. It was great seeing them and catching up with them again for a little. I had now spent two days walking around Bangkok, seeing the sights, and shopping. By Thursday my knee was hurting everytime I was walking, so I took it easy Thursday and Friday. I stayed close to the hotel and walked up and down Khao San Road and the other streets nearby. Khao San Road is a major tourist street packed with shops and American restaurants such as Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks, Subway, and 7-11. It is quite a sight to see!!
Saturday I began my journey back to China. I flew from Bangkok to Shenzen. In Shenzen there was a layover for about 10 hours. A small group of us tried to sleep however at about 2:30am guards woke us each up and checked our passports. You know China, they like to know where everyone is at all times. Sunday morning I arrived in Hangzhou at the hotel where the Neelys were staying. I spent the next four days with the Neelys. Janet and I spent the days shopping, visiting West lake, walking, and at Starbucks. In the evenings the three of us ate dinner at one of the few western restuarants, even including Pizza Hut and another you can ask them about! I had a wonderful time sharing my experiences and life in China with them. It was a wonderful feeling to have family near again. I loved every minute of it! I wished I could come home with them and see each of you and was sad to leave them but I needed to return to China for the spring semester.
After another day of travels and spending a night in Wuhan with friends I returned to DJK. I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. When I first arrived home I cleaned like crazy and began unpacking. Saturday led to grocery shopping, as food is always a necessity! To the market I took my backpack so it would be easier on me and my knee for carrying so much food. We definitely noticed a price change due to the bad weather they had in China while we were gone. Sunday began more visits with friends to welcome each other back. Monday was the beginning of classes. I am already exhausted but am glad to be back!! I have already had a few visitors and it is only Wednesday! I have also gone to the clinic on campus for my knee that is still bothering me (two weeks later).The poked it as everyone does, noticed it was swollen when they compared it to my other knee, and gave me some kind of electro-therapy. So basically I was minimally electrocuted in China. I am supposed to go back tomorrow for more and possibly acupuncture or something with needles. We shall see how long that lasts!

Off to bed in China as you begin a new day!
Make it a blessed one!

...pictures added to blog - coming soon...

No comments: