Tuesday, February 12, 2008

BANGKOK

So we arrived in Bangkok at 6am, still dark however, there were so many people up. Either they did not go to bed or they are very early risers, already eating at restaurants. I met yet another couple from Israel who helped me find a place to stay since they had been there before and it was dark. The hotel told me the room would not be ready until 10am. It was nearly 7 now. I dropped my bags in this little holding room they have for that and decided to listen to my stomach and eat something. The hotel I am staying at is right next to a very busy tourist street, Khao San Road, blocked at the ends for vendor and shops. They were already setting up. I walked around browsing for a bit and then saw it. On this street there is McDonalds (of course), 2 7-11s (they are all over the place about every two blocks literally), Starbucks (YAY!!), Subway (sandwiches), and Burger King.
I know everyone is thinking so you went to starbucks, but you would be wrong! I went to... duh duh duh... Burger King!! It is open 24 hours like McDonalds and 7-11. I had a whopper Jr. and fries at 7:30 in the morning and it was good!! I stayed in the AC (it is so humid and hot here even at 7am - it doesn't cool down at night) until 8:30 when I could exchange money. I checked email and then as I was walking back to the hotel a vendor asked if I wanted to buy fisherman pants - and I did!! I have acquired some interesting asian clothing on this trip. Clothing you are not likely to find in the states. Tasteful of course but a different style!
Anyway, I was finally able to go into my room at 10am. I showered and then headed to the hospital. What for you ask, to visit the "elephant man" and his "caretaker". I arrive at about 11:30 and stayed until 7:30. We just hung out and talked. Jeremy told me his story and how blessed he is to be alive. He has many stitches, cuts, and bruises. He is able to talk but movement is very hard and painful. Jeremy has come a long way. Lately he has been able to get up and walk for a little, nothing to straining. He asks for continued prayers. The hospital is wanting to discharge him however, there are some problems with the bill. His insurance has run out. Compared to the states it is not an extreme amount for being in ICU for over 2 weeks and the med center for 1 week. There is a fund set up at Freed Hardeman for Jeremy. They are trying to raise the hospital cost which is around 10,000. If anyone reading this would like to help I will put that information in another Post. He thanks everyone for the prayers!
That was how I spent my first full day in Bangkok!
Today I got up with the plan to walk to the temples in the various directions around me. After getting lost for 3 hours I finally found the marble temple, palace, zoo and a few other temples. I walked for over 7 hours. I must be getting old because I am hurting and it is only 8:30 but I am ready for bed!! I will give you a piece of advice - people are greedy and want money. I was told 3 times that specific temples were closed and I should go to the big biddha and take a tuk tuk for the low price of 20 Baht because it was far. After discovering the first lie, I became wary of trusting anyone eager to help that I did not ask first. One told me it was closed and I could not go in. I told him I just wanted to see the outside anyway! Little did I know that of course I could go int when I got there! Talk about frustration! Apparently this is a common scam. This just proves once again I am not another "dumb blonde".
Now here I sit showered, feeling better, yet still exhausted! Thinking back over today, it is remarkable to see how different another culture is yet also similar. I have to say I do miss the states and will be glad to come home and see all your faces! I will be very glad to see Janet and Adrian Neely on Sunday!! It will be a nice break and my own retreat!
Until then I hope Bangkok can handle me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never take a shower for granted!

Charles