Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wild Weather!!

You have not experienced heat and humidity until you have experienced China summers. After being here for all the “seasons” I have decided the 4 seasons are different than ours in the “good ol’ US of A”. First there is no spring or fall/autumn. Of course there are days (just a handful) that would fit into these catergories however not enough to warrant an entire season.

Of course having heard about the horrible winter storms, winter would be one season. Though winter is split into two seasons; freezing cold and bitterly, frost-bitten cold. The first, freezing cold, is normal winter. You need a winter coat, scarf and gloves – optional. During this time it’s nice to be bundled for a walk outside. This cold will last for about 3 months. Half before and half after the bitterly, frost-bitten cold season which lasts for about 3-4 months. A winter coat, scarf, and gloves will not be enough to keep you warm. Teaching in this weather I was wearing long johns, 2 shirts, a sweater/sweatshirt, pants, 2-3 pairs of socks, shoes, my winter coat, 2 pairs of gloves, a scarf, and sometimes a hat. This did not keep me warm. My fingers and toes still felt frozen after class and of course there was a “fear” of frostbite!! It was bitter cold!! In China, schools, stores, most restaurants, and almost all other buildings lack heaters for the winter and AC for the summer.

The summer I also have to break into two seasons; hot summer and flesh-melting, sweat-dripping summer. Hot summer is just that, extremely hot with some humidity, reminding me of some very hot days in the states and lasts about 2 months. It’s not too bad with shorts, flip flops (if you are daring enough to wear them in public!), a cold drink, or ice cream. Now the flesh-melting, sweat-dripping summer is MISERABLE!! I walk outside my air-conditioned apartment into a HEAT WAVE!! I am thankful for my AC, which seems to work overtime!! There is no way to escape the 100+ degree weather and the 85%+ humidity, except to retreat to my apartment. China brings a new meaning to heat. People carry umbrellas (for shade) and fans (Chinese style). Bicycles and motor bikes even have an umbrella holder. Eating in a restaurant they still serve hot water or hot tea. I miss my cold salads, sandwiches, and beverages!! I will get them soon enough!

So there you have it my 4 seasons of China; freezing cold > bitterly, frost-bitten cold > hot summer > flesh-melting, sweat-dripping summer!!

WHICH SEASON DO YOU PREFER?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wuss! j/k I grew up in South Texas. dallas wis famous for x number of days over a 100 degrees.

But over there I would prefer freezing winter. One can always put more cloths on, but you can't cool any fleash-eating heat for the life of you.

Chucky-D