Monday, May 12, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!

This morning there was an earthquake in Chengdu of the Sichuan Province. It measured 7.8 on the Richter Scale and was felt all over China, including many islands on the coast like Taiwan, and as far as Hanoi, Vietnam and Bangkok, Thailand. Even buildings in Beijing shook. It was felt here in DJK. We are approximately 494 miles (~8hours) from the earthquakes epicenter. I personally don't recall feeling much out of the ordinary, but Jessi does. I claim being on the ground floor I did not feel anything shake but on the third floor she felt the building sway.
Over 8,500 people have been killed, 10,000 injured, and another 900 trapped in a collapsed Middle School and still more trapped under 4 other collapsed schools (as of midnight Monday here). 80 % of all buildings in Beichuan county of Sichuan province have collapsed. Pray for the people of Chengdu and their families.
We are fine here in DJK. No building collapses or injuries due to the earthquake.
Just wanted to let you know so none of you would worry if you heard!

Also if you have heard keep in prayers the hand, foot, and mouth disease is in China and has killed a minimum of 33 people. A handful of those deaths have been in our province.
I promise to stay as safe as i can!

Much love always!!
><>+<><

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am so thankful that you and your area are safe. Praise our great God for His mercy.

Charles

Mom said...

I was afraid for you when I heard the news. Thank you for letting us know that you are OK. That was a huge earthquake with so much damage.
We are looking forward to seeing you and hearing all your stories.
Sue

Tracy said...

Glad all is well and you are safe.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm glad I had received your e-mail before I saw today's headlines. Thank God you are safe!

Sharon said...

I can't believe that your time in China is almost at an end. Thanks for letting us all know that you are safe. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.